Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Tribute to Shiloh














Dave, Deonna and crew hosted a Shiloh BBQ last week that was an absolute blast! The ladies wore make-up and the guys brushed their hair - but you know we all would have been more comfortable in our paddock boots and cowboy hats!



















Ma and me, or as Jet knows us: Grammy and Mommy.





Ah, who am I kidding? He knows us as Human Who Spoils Me and Human Who Spoils Me More.








Dave, a great Parelli-ite to have around when we get majorly stuck! Check out his blog on my list (Rookie and Numerous) and see how far he's come!













Deonna (left), THE BOSS, and Shiloh's best photographer, and Sharil, who adopted pretty Paint, Cochise (who was found wandering around a Las Vegas neighborhood!), and Borego, an OTTB thoroughly enjoying his retirement.








Sharil and Sally. Sally is Jill's mother, aka my OTHER personal hero.






Jill wasn't able to make it, but she was there in spirit, plus we vowed to hog-tie her to the hood of the car if necessary so she could be at the next BBQ on the 17th!



As I drove to work later that night, not caring that by 5am my legs would be cramping from exhaustion from being up so long, I got to thinking of how unbelievable of a place Shiloh truly is and how much the ranch has taught me.

Thanks to Shiloh, I've learned so much about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the horse world, and I soak up every bit of it as much as I can. Shiloh is a world in itself, a world that works tirelessly for the rights of those who cannot speak for themselves. It's a place where blood, sweat, and tears are put into caring for horses that so many no longer wanted, and trying to prove to those horses in every way that can be thought of that they are loved HERE, and HERE at Shiloh, they are valuable and welcome. Jill and Sally come up 7 days a week in the blazing summers, during the face-ripping winds of winter, in thunderstorms and flawless, sunny days with smiles on their faces and determination in their hearts. They welcome all new visitors and volunteers with warmth, always ready to answer any question, never making you feel like a fool, and somehow know the stories behind each and every one of the 160 animals that rule the 40 acres of desert Shiloh sits on. They put together a basic horsemanship class so that even someone with no experience can learn the basic fundamentals of safety and enjoy the horses. Sally and Jill travel all over the country in the plight to end horse slaughter, bid against killer buyers at auction to bring home horses that later become adopted, proving to the skeptical time and time again that horses on feedlots are NOT always the broken and dying, but more often than not the vibrant and sound, who would make for someone the ultimate trail plodder or roper or jumper.










And then there are the volunteers. Some of us study Parelli, some of us follow Clinton Anderson, we may be traditional English riders, or we may be die-hard Western riders - it just doesn't matter. It's not about our preferred training methods. It's about the horses. It's about providing for horses that no one wanted. It's about keeping them healthy, safe, and happy. Every volunteer and visitor is appreciated - Jill and Sally thank everyone over and over. For me personally, thanks is not deserved. I don't do nearly enough, and I'm not up there nearly as often as I wish I could be. Even on the days where we just give Jet a carrot and pat on the nose so we can dedicate our time to the other horses still looking for their forever homes, I feel like I should have done more that day. And yet, there is no attitude of who-did-what, who-did-more, who-did-nothing between the girls nor the volunteers. Shiloh is MY sanctuary as much as it is for the horses. One of the reasons I love being there the most is because it's a reminder of how GOOD people can be. Shiloh is proof that there are people out there who don't do it for money, glory, power, or fame. They do it because they love it. Because the real satisfaction comes from something as simple as fixing a faulty gate to something as huge as bonding with a horse who becomes your best friend for life. The satisfaction comes from doing something nice. Knowing you helped a horse (or a person) that day. Shiloh reminds me that the world isn't COMPLETELY full of corruption, greed or daggers.










When I daydreamed about moving to Vegas and getting back into horses, I never expected that I would become so committed to a rescue. But I am most thankful to be a part, however small, of such a valiant effort. It always sits in the back of my mind that too many of the animals up here arrived because no one cared what happened to them. Because I can't imagine my life without them.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good ol' Shiloh. :)
See ya this weekend!