Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Your Horses - Then and Now

I just did a revision of Jet's horsenality chart. He still exudes most of the traits he had when we first charted him, but some new ones have come out. Of course, charts do not hold a torch to what we see in the flesh.

When we first got Jet, he was sweet, friendly and VERY lazy, thoroughly content to just stand around and be loved on. Two months later, he is sweet, friendly, and VERY dominating, prone to throwing tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He has become more playful and testy to our our leadership. He loves the Push Me, Pull You game (not to be confused with Yo-Yo) where whoever moves backwards first is the loser (prime dominance game). He is more exuberant, stubborn and defiant than he used to be. Still licking and chewing over the idea of handing US the role of Leader. When we first played with him, he was curious and aimed to please. Now, he demands incentive and motivation then STILL sticks his tongue out at us when he does what he asks. But other days he is all about trying to learn and constantly asking questions.

So, I am DYING to know...what were your horses like when you first met them? How have they changed since you started Parelli? Were they beasts that turned into dolls? Dolls that turned into beasts, then into magic horses? Was your horse abused before you got him? Do you have any foals who have been raised PNH? I read about your horses all the time, your follies and fantastics and am SO interested to know who your horse was when you first introduced her to the Games, and now, who your REAL horse is! Fire away!!!

1 comment:

Lisa R said...

Well I wish I could tell you with Duck! But it is still too early for me to tell. I've only had her since last November even though I have played with her longer than that. I feel like we've backslid. Her previous owners took her to a Carol Coppinger Clinic (where I was riding my previous horse) where they were doing simple lead changes etc. Now I don't even canter her hardly and we aren't even really doing so great at gait/direction! She seemed so LBE then, but when I've done her chart now she is LBI that goes RBE rather easily...Time will tell.